Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Parenting Styles

Many articles over the years have analyzed how parenting styles differ and how the way you decide to parent can have an effect on how your children act.

After taking classes such as Child Development where I have received my CDA (licensing to run and teach a state licensed child care facility) and also Child and Adolescent Psychology, I have noticed that I can not be put into just one category.

Parents have a choice how to raise their children as they see fit but a little education on how children learn and thrive can make a huge difference on the choices parents make every day. 

I have personally changed my parenting style to fit each of my children. My girls all have very distinct and different personalities that require me to change my approach with each one of them. Being able to change you style to best suit your child is beneficial especially when dealing with multiple children.

There are four main styles for parenting:

1. The Authoritarian- (The Drill Sargent)  this style has very strict rules, no explanation for the rules, and if rules are not followed there is punishment. This is the "because I said so" parent.

2. The Authoritative- (The Democratic Parent) this style encourages the child to ask questions and is very responsive to the child. There are still rules set and are more corrective and supportive in the discipline.

3. The Permissive- (The Spoiler) these parents require little to nothing from their children. They are the parents that want to be a friend to their children and avoid confrontation at all cost.

4. The Uninvolved Parent- (The Ignoring Parent) this style is characterized by the detachment from the child emotionally and physically. This parent provides the basic needs for the child but very little beyond that.

To read more about this subject, the About.com has a great information on this and other parenting subjects.
  
Kids tend to draw the funniest pictures about serious topics and here is one that I found that tries to show each of the parenting styles. It gives a perspective on how this child perceives each of the different styles with a little funny twist.



Now that you have a little understanding on the different styles, which one or combination of styles do you feel that best describes you? Or if you are not a parent yet, which one do you think you might use once you have children? Which parent style do you think your parents used while you were growing up?

Image credit: lineleoff.com



2 comments:

  1. I found this blog quite interesting and very informative. I don't have children but if I were to be a parent, I would most likely be the "Democratic Parent". I would also integrate the "Authoritarian" parent. I feel like both are needed just took keep a balance when raising a child. I agree that all children have different personalities so the parenting on each can also vary but to treat them equally. This article reminds me of my pets. Since I don't have kids, I wrote a section on my blog how all pets have different personalities just like humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found with small children (or young pets) that the mixture of styles you mentioned is best but as you get into the teenage years with children the parent must also incorporate a little of the uninvolved parenting style by allowing them to make decisions and dealing with the consequences. Thank you for the kind words about my blog, I am glad you enjoy it.

      Delete